A NEW THING by Mrs. Teresa Cockrell Mathews
Behold, I am doing a new thing:
Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
A new thing, this is my phrase for this new year. Why would I need God to do a new thing in my life? It is because I have been in the wilderness for a spell.
My wilderness was not like the one that the Israelites went through because they refused to see the Promised Land and take that blessing. My Wilderness was God setting me aside to learn, wait, watch, and grow. This wilderness is not a place by choice; it is a place by design.
Sometimes this wilderness comes and you know it is about to happen. Other times it sneaks up on you, and you don’t realize you are in it until you are halfway through. My wilderness snuck up on me. I found myself sitting down and not moving forward in my wilderness. While in the wilderness I knew God was there, but He seemed far away – so I thought. At times my attitude stunk, sometimes I did not want to worship or read my bible, and there were times where I did. I tried to be a hermit, but God and life pulled me back.
The first Sunday of this year our pastor spoke on the children of Israel who were about to take the Promised Land and cross the Jordan River. He told Joshua to put the Ark in the water 2000 cubits (10 football fields long) ahead of the people. Why 2000 cubits? By this time there were millions of people that were about to cross the Jordan. God placed the Ark (Himself) this far ahead so all the people could see it (Him). This distance let all people see the Ark. They were to LOOK UP and keep their eyes on God, and He would show them the way.
God, in this moment told me, “Teresa, LOOK UP!!! Quit walking with your head down. You can’t see the way I am leading you, and you can’t see me. Look Up and follow me through this. I will be your Focal Point. You may not see the whole road but I will guide you in each step.”He was to become my pillar of fire at night and my cloud in the day.
When you find yourself in the wilderness:
- LOOK UP: Find God, keep your eyes on Him.
- Know this time is a teaching, pruning, and growing time for your life, (sometimes it can be a punishment). Seek God to show you
- Follow the way in the wilderness God sets before you. You have not been this way before. (Joshua 3:4)
- Stop at the Rivers God sends your way to refresh you. (Now there is not a river on every turn). Keep going, don’t get comfortable here. This is not the destination.
- Perceive: “Know, be aware.” Keep telling yourself God is doing a new thing I know it, I perceive it, I am aware of it.